Dear Mom, I hope you accept my sincerest apologies for all of the following:
- The times you asked me to do something, and I said I would but didn't. I'm sorry.
- The times I forced you to referee petty disagreements between me and my sibs. I'm sorry.
- The times I said I'd be home at "x O' Clock", didn't, and then fought with you about why I shouldn't be in trouble. I'm sorry.
- The times you toiled in the kitchen after a long day of work to make dinner, and I told you I wasn't going to eat it. Rudely. I'm sorry.
- The times I told you "you don't know what you're talking about!" I was wrong. I'm sorry.
- The times I checked out books from the library or rented movies without you knowing... until you got the bill for the over due fines. I'm sorry.
- The times when I wouldn't accept "no" for an answer. A thousand apologies! I'm sorry.
- The times I asked for your help and then got angry when you gave it. I'm sorry.
- The things I destroyed, intentionally or not, at your and dad's expense. This includes, but is not limited to: the cabbage patch dolls I beheaded (mine and my sister's), the barbie dolls I scalped, the two windows I cracked practicing goal shots in the yard and the alarm clock I broke trying to shut off
- The times I swore I didn't have anything to wear to school, although my closet was bursting with clean clothes. I'm sorry.
- The times I didn't let you use the bathroom in peace. I'm truly incredibly sorry.
- The times my mode of operation was stuck on DON'T. STOP. TALKING. And all you wanted was a little bit of peace. I'm sorry.
- The times I ate that last piece of cake/pie/whatever, that you were saving for yourself. I'm sincerely sorry.
For the sake of brevity, I'm going to stop here. Just know that this is far from a complete list!
Then I started a list of things I appreciate about my mom, but then decided to list only a few of them. Not because there isn't much to be grateful for, there's much. But because each of these items is at the heart of everything my mom did for me. So here goes-
Infinite thanks for:
1- Your enduring love. I know I wasn't the easiest kid to raise but, I kept you on your toes, right? =D
2- Not loading me onto a boat to the Philippines with a hobo sack, a snickers bar and a note saying, "DO NOT RETURN TO SENDER." Or even threatening to.
Looking back, I can imagine you were tempted many, many times. Probably even several times a day.
Happy Mother's Day, mom!
Even though I forgot to send a card, I want you to know I'm thankful for you every single day.
Your Best First Daughter