Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Like Moths to a...

Last summer Sofia saw a moth in the house and totally freaked. She was worried it was going to eat her. Where she got this idea is a mystery, but there it was for me to deal with. Of course, I told her that she wasn't going to get eaten by a moth.

"Moths don't eat people," I explained. "They like natural fibers like wool. They'd rather eat my yarn." Naturally my response was followed with, "why would moths want to eat your yarn?" I gave her an honest and factual answer. "Because," I said, "they just like to eat wool and I have yarn that's made of wool."

I thought the expanded explanation would soothe her fears. I really, really did. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Granted, she's no longer worried the moths will eat her flesh and bones. Instead, she worries they'll eat the clothes off of her body- including her panties- and leave her standing nekkid for all to see. Apparently, this is terrifying to a five year old. Even one who seems to distaste wearing anything besides panties around the house. She doesn't fail to point this out whenever a moth gets into the house.

"Ahh, get it away!" she shouts. "It's going to eat my clothes!"

In hindsight, I probably should have just left it at, "moths don't eat people", never mind the why's.

Whoever said knowledge is power clearly did not have children. Otherwise he/she would know that sometimes knowledge is just another fear waiting to be planted in the mind of a child. No matter how ridiculous it seems to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment